Ethiopia: Survivors of an ac massacre by rebels in western Ethiopia counted 54 bodies at a school compound on Sunday, with the latest attack deliberately targeting members of ethnic minorities, Amnesty International said on Monday.

Human rights groups are urging federal forces to leave the area to take in attackers and target ethnic groups.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abi Ahmed has condemned the killing of civilians based on identity, saying security forces were deployed in the area and “began to take action.”

Racial violence is the biggest challenge in Ethiopia for the Prime Minister, who won the Nobel Peace Prize last year.

“Ethiopia’s enemies are trying to rule or destroy the country and they are doing everything possible to achieve it,” Abhay said in a Facebook post. “One of his tactics is to divide civilians and carry out barbaric attacks based on identity. (For me) it is heartbreaking.”

The Ethiopian government has blamed a rebel group called the Oromo Liberation Army for the attacks in the western part of Oromia, a border region of South Sudan, and a few hundred kilometers from the capital, Addis Ababa.

Oromia Regional Police Commission chief Arasa Mardasa said the death toll in the state was 32 and “about 200 families have fled the area.”

Survivors of the attack in the Guliso district of the West Velaga zone told Amnesty International that federal forces unexpectedly withdrew and that the rebels arrived hours later, identifying themselves as OLAs and declaring that they no longer occupied the area. Is controlled.

“The terrorists gathered and killed people who could not flee, mainly women, children and the elderly,” the Amnan statement said. The survivors hid in a nearby forest. One told the human rights group that the bodies of his brother, nephew and three children were found with bullet wounds on the school premises.

Depros Muchena, regional director of Amsterdam International, said: “The tragedy came shortly after government forces returned to the area.

The Ethiopian Human Rights Commission, in its own statement, reported that the government had reported 32 deaths, but that preliminary evidence “indicated that this number could exceed that”.

Citing factions, the commission put the number of attackers at 60. Racial amulets were “dragged from their homes to the school where they were killed.”

The commission called on the government to “shed light on the reasons behind the withdrawal of troops from the area of ​​long-term attacks” and to protect civilians.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here